The Attendance Secretary is responsible for maintaining accurate attendance records for students in a school setting. They will assist in the daily tracking and reporting of student attendance, ensure that attendance policies and procedures are followed, and work closely with school administrators to address attendance concerns. The Attendance Secretary provides assistance to the assigned departments as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following statements of essential functions, responsibilities, frequencies, and percentages are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. These statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required of all personnel within this position. Actual duties, responsibilities, frequencies, and percentages may vary depending upon building assignments and other factors. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Maintain accurate student attendance records, including absences, tardiness, and early dismissals.
- Monitor and track attendance data in the school's database system.
- Notify parents/guardians of student absences, tardiness, or early dismissals in a timely manner.
- Follow up with parents/guardians to obtain excuses for student absences and enter excuses into the school's database system.
- Work with school administrators to develop and implement attendance policies and procedures.
- Collaborate with teachers and staff to identify and address chronic attendance issues.
- Provide support to students and families in addressing attendance-related challenges.
- Maintain confidentiality of student attendance records and related information.
- Assist the Administration with attendance contracts and truancy procedures.
- Assists and supports the Registrar with daily tasks as needed.
- Acts as and assists the Receptionist as needed.
- Assists Registrar with October count in State reporting.
- Models and fosters a culture of high-quality customer service.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Training
- High school diploma or equivalent, plus specialized courses in basic computer skills.
- Associate’s degree or equivalent work experience preferred.
Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations
- Criminal background check required for hire.
- One year and up to and including two years of secretarial experience required. One year secretarial experience in a school setting is preferred.
Skills and Knowledge
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal relation skills
- Basic math and accounting skills
- Customer service and public relations skills
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple priorities and tasks with frequent interruptions
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with various stakeholders
- Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions
- Ability to perform responsibilities without the necessity of close supervision
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in all aspects of the job.
- Ability to diffuse and manage volatile and stressful situations.
- Must be proficient in the use of personal computers and common software applications, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
Materials and Equipment Operating Knowledge:
- Operating knowledge of and experience with personal computers and peripherals.
- Operating knowledge of and experience with general office equipment, including telephones, copiers, and fax machines required within 1 month after hire.
- Operating knowledge of the current student database computer program is required within 1 month after hire.
Supervision and Technical Responsibilities:
This position reports the School Principal
Safety to Self and Others:
Recognizes the importance of safety in the workplace, follows safety rules, practices safe work habits, and reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate administrator.
OTHER WORK FACTORS
The physical demands, work environment factors, and mental functions described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands to finger handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to analyze, communicate, compute, and compile. Frequently required to compare. Occasionally required to copy, coordinate, instruct, synthesize, evaluate, use interpersonal skills, and compile.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
New Summit Charter Academy is an equal-opportunity employer. All aspects of employment, including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
How to apply
To apply, please email a resume and a completed digital application to [email protected]. To find the digital application, please visit our website at www.newsummitcharter.org/careers.