Donate | Print Page | Sign In | Register
News: League News

School highlight: Global Village Academy Northglenn

Friday, March 20, 2020   (0 Comments)
Share |

Kyle Bobrick, Marketing Support Staff

 

In order to fully understand the values and culture of the schools in our network, the League has the opportunity to visit different charter schools throughout the year.  In early February, we visited a unique and charming charter school in north Denver called the Global Village Academy Northglenn. GVA Northglenn is a free, public international school with language immersion instruction in English and the choice of Mandarin Chinese, Spanish, French, German, or Russian. Their students develop a global perspective by learning a second world language, explore diverse cultures to cultivate understanding and respect, and enhance the skills necessary to live and work with international communities.

 

Guided by a strong teaching cohort, GVA Northglenn boasts a 90% teacher retention rate, with the majority of the other 10% having to leave based on visa requirements. When visiting specific language immersion classrooms, we were impressed with what we saw.  First grade students conversed with their teachers in Russian and students spelled out Chinese characters on an overhead projector as part of a foreign language spelling bee. Not only were these classes focussed on language immersion, but students were focussed on the material as well.  They were engaged and genuinely seemed to enjoy the work in which they were participating. Above all, GVA Northglenn offers a space for students to participate in a rigorous education, critical thinking skills, and a love of learning. To learn more about Global Village Academy Northglenn, visit their website HERE or follow them on Facebook at @GlobalVillageAcademyNorthglenn.